Repairing A Garden Hosecomments (0) May 25th, 2012
Video Length: 4:49
Produced by: Greg Holdsworth
Got a damaged or leaking garden hose? Happens to us gardeners all the time. You are then faced with the decision to either purchase a brand new one, or try to repair your existing one. Fortunately, there are many options available if you're the "just fix-it" type. For a hose that has a slow drip, it may just be as simple as replacing the washer. For a damaged hose, a "hose mender kit" will do the job.
Hose mender kits come in either metal or plastic. Metal kits can be more expensive, but tend to last longer. Depending on the thickness of your hose, you may need to soak the end of the hose in hot water for a few minutes to make it more pliable. For the purpose of this video, I used metal (brass) kits. Most hoses have a diameter of 1/2" - 1", so make sure you get the right size.
Fixing a drip at the end of the hose, whether connected to a watering attachment or second hose
1. Remove the watering attachment or hose.
2. Remove the washer from the inside of the female end and inspect it.
3. If it's worn, broken down, etc. replace it with a new one. You can get a washer replacement kit, that will have assorted types and sizes; in either plastic or rubber.
Hole or cut in the hose
1. Cut the hose on either side of the cut/hole.
2. Use a "hose mender kit" to reattach the two sections together. Most kits will contain two clamps and a fitting.
3a. Kits with two clamps: Put the clamps on the two hose ends, and then tighten them to the hose.
3b. Kits with two clamps and a fitting: Put the clamps on the two hose ends, and then connect them to the fitting. Then tighten the clamps to the hose.
Damaged hose end
1. Cut off the damaged end of the hose.
2. Use a "male or female hose mender kit" to replace the damaged end of the hose (or "shank"). Most kits will contain a clamp and the new hose end.
3. Put the clamp on the hose end, and then attach the hose end/shank to the hose end. Tighten the clamp.
Post your photos
posted in: repair, garden hose